Hayward Phantom Turbo Cleaner Malfunctioning

I put my Phantom Turbo into the pool this past weekend for the first time this year and noticed that it will go straight fo a short distance and then start spinning in a circle. Once it starts spinning in a circle, it eventually tangles the hose and will never straighten out again. This is the first problem I have had with the cleaner. Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

If you're still waiting for an answer, it's either the internal manifold, or gearbox - most likely the "manifold" inside the cleaner has stuck & will need to be replaced. It's not really a serviceable part.

I had the same problem last year with my Phantom cleaner. It was the manifold .It costs about $95 , but I felt that it should not have broken after 2 years of light use (pool season in NJ is 3 months max)so I typed a nice email to hayward customer service stating how I felt and within a day I had a reply asking for my address as they were going to send me out the part for free.took me about 20 minutes to install it .Works great !

• 1 month later...

Well, mine just started spinning out as well. I replaced the manifold, which was quite easy. It still was spinning out. Only thing left was the gear box. It was about $50 shipped and it WAS the problem. I did check it and it seemed to be working before. I took the over off and could watch the gear spin, hit the ball and continue. It appeared as it was working, when in fact it wasn't. After replacing it and seeing that it was the broken part, I took the 2 bottom screws out of the broken one to see if something got inside and broke it. Nothing inside but about 10 gears. Don't even think you can open it. 2 popped out right away. It isn't serviceable so don't think you can lube it up or fix it. I still took it all apart since it was trash. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. No idea what caused it to fail.

Hope this helps.