Is It Possible To Add A Waterfall To An Existing Tub?

pkillur

So, I am an engineer, but I no absolutely nothing about acrylic and fiberglass, but it seems to me that it would be fairly simple to add a trigger inline with a pump switch, or a separate switch that activates a waterfall feature to a hot tub. But, what I don't know is if making a new penetration in the acrylic and fiberglass is a really bad idea or not. Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure with the cost of finding and or time cost of making one it's probably cheaper to buy a new tub with one in it, but who knows, maybe this is something that is routinely done.

You can drill a hole and set it up yourself... but, IMO, I think a waterfall is useless... I ahve one on our tub and it is never on. I wouldnt go to great lengths to put one in, unles you HAVE to. All it would take are a couple of holes, hose, a valve etc....

You can get parts from Waterway plastics, including a fountain or cascade type outlet "jet". You can check they're stuff out on their website, the catalog is available online. Not sure if they will sell direct - if not you'll have to get a dealer to order.

The ones I've seen and owned have been plumbed up to the jet pump. So you don't need a switch, you just need a valve to turn the water off and on when the pump is running. Again, Waterway.

I agree though, they're kinda useless IMO. Takes away from the jet power when you want jets. Makes noise and consumes power when you don't want jets.

But if you're gonna do it...

Consider some LED lighting behind it so it at least has a cool look at night.

Fiberglass is really hard on cutting tools and after even one cut your drill bit, router bit or holesaw might not be good for much else besides fiberglass.

Acrylic tends to chip. Use very light feed pressure and high speed on your drill. A corded drill generally runs faster (~2500 rpm) than a cordless one. Put masking (not the blue painter's tape - use regular masking tape) on the acrylic to support the edge.

And always make sure there is clearance behind your hole. Not just for the jet itself but also for the wrench you need to install it.

You can get parts from Waterway plastics, including a fountain or cascade type outlet "jet". You can check they're stuff out on their website, the catalog is available online. Not sure if they will sell direct - if not you'll have to get a dealer to order.

The ones I've seen and owned have been plumbed up to the jet pump. So you don't need a switch, you just need a valve to turn the water off and on when the pump is running. Again, Waterway.

I agree though, they're kinda useless IMO. Takes away from the jet power when you want jets. Makes noise and consumes power when you don't want jets.

But if you're gonna do it...

Consider some LED lighting behind it so it at least has a cool look at night.

Fiberglass is really hard on cutting tools and after even one cut your drill bit, router bit or holesaw might not be good for much else besides fiberglass.

Acrylic tends to chip. Use very light feed pressure and high speed on your drill. A corded drill generally runs faster (~2500 rpm) than a cordless one. Put masking (not the blue painter's tape - use regular masking tape) on the acrylic to support the edge.

And always make sure there is clearance behind your hole. Not just for the jet itself but also for the wrench you need to install it.

Wow, sounds like a whole lot of work for not a lot of benefit. I was thinking of putting in a little dinky pump just for the waterfall, but the more I think about it, I might just be opening pandoras box for not a whole lot of gain. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them!

-PKil

Wow, sounds like a whole lot of work for not a lot of benefit. I was thinking of putting in a little dinky pump just for the waterfall, but the more I think about it, I might just be opening pandoras box for not a whole lot of gain. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them!

-PKil

It is just that, lots of work for just a waterfall. While I think waterfalls are like parsley on a dinner plate people have shown that they want them. If you are up for the project and really want the waterfall go for it but I'd opt for some other more meaningful project around the house I've been putting off.