Arctic Spa Or The Young Upstart H2ospas? Advice Please...

great white

Yeesh, what have I done?

All I wanted to do was get opinions and a few bits of advice on a couple tubs we're looking at. The criteria we choose to be important to us is just that, important to us for our uses.

While the Glacier is a very nice tub, we just can't justify the cost difference between it and the H20 radium. If they cost about the same with the same features, the Glacier might get the nod. But they don't cost the same, nor do the come with the same features at this price. The difference after taxes and all are in is around 2500 bucks Cdn. That's a lot of dough to just shrug you shoulders and say "meh" when forking over your credit card. Even more so when you consider that the Radium comes with more, albiet not so important (IE:mp3 sound system, rainbow lighting, etc), features than the Arctic we're looking at.

Even after purchase is all said and done (the H20 is going on a concrete patio already in place anyways), we still have to ge the electrician in to wire up the house. That's a good use for that 2500 dollar difference in price.

I know some may say "you can't put a price on what you want", but the stark reality is that you can. Sometimes you must. My wallet is only so thick and the Radium will suit our intened use just fine and IMO, exceeds the Artctic in some areas for our intented use. Nut the Artic sure is a pretty looking thing.....packaging and presentation sure is slicker than the H20.

One of the very attractive features the H2o has for me, is the use of generic/industry common parts in it's construction. To me, this says I can get the parts more readily in the market now and at competitive pricing (if you can only get a part from the manufacturer, the price is always higher than one readily available) and they'll most likely be available in the parts market longer after the warranty expires. If I spend 8 grand-ish on a tub I'm going to have it well past the warranty expiry. I read that Arctic used Emco pumps and frankly, that's not a plus to me. An italian manufacturer, even a company that's been around a long time, has several negatives in my mind. One is that it's on the other side of the atlantic and not as common a marque in NA, the other is that it is Italian. Having lots of experience with Italian manufactured electronics, this is not a good thing. My helo was manufactured by a british/italian consortium and let me tell you, being "made in italy" is definetley NOT a good thing nor a mark of durabiltity/reliability.....

Yup, know all about Timmy's in AB not being able to hire guys, even at 20 bucks and hour (so the story goes). That's the price of living in oil country my freind. But that doesn't mean the market can support the higher "buy in" price in other regions. What it does mean is that you may need to start looking at reducing your manufacturing costs somehow without sacrificing quality. But that's a discussion for another day and another forum.

I'm not trying to slam Vern or Arctic, simply explaining why we most likley have decided against buying Arctic.

So, looks like we'll be going with H2o and we'll be just fine with it.....pending a sucessful wet test.

;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are Canadian companies and we intend to purchase Canadian. Not as a result of some sense of “patriotism” (although it is a nice plus), but because construction on Canadian models seems much more suited to the Canadian climate (insulation, construction materials, cover strength, etc). Kind of makes sense when you think about it: can a California manufacturer ever understand 3 feet of snowfall overnight, 4 months of rain (BC) or -25 C temps?

I think not…….Canadian manufacturer it is.

The above statement is where ya went wrong great white!!!!!!!

Have you sat in either of these tubs yet?

"...California manufacturer ever understand 3 feet of snowfall overnight, 4 months of rain (BC) or -25 C temps?"

I think if you do 5 minutes of research, you'll find some of the best made, most reliable hot tubs on the market are manufactured by CA companies.

We have seen this all too many times, people south of us think they live in such cold climates and there tubs are "better"

I myself usually do not buy locally for big items just because of the cost differences in Canada/US.

For example my truck I purchased I saved over $10,000 buying in the states versus here....how does that happen ??

Anyway back on topic..... I did buy my tub locally for good reasons as having a dealer here if I need any help and warranty. Buying down south I could of prob saved a couple grand on same tub but not worth the hassle in the long term especially with a hot tub.

I purchased a H2O Canyon luxury. We compared all the available brands here in my area (Sask) and with Beachcomber, Arctic, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, H2O available we decided on H2O.

Why ?? Cost and construction/insulation and quality. Comparing other tubs especially Arctic way overpriced and BS sales pitches and the huge cost difference it was a joke.

It's funny to hear dealers or manufactures sales pitch when you have been in sales yourself for over 10 years, you have to laugh at them sometimes.

Especially the pitches on the expensive Arctic/Beachcomber brands (waste of money in my opinion)

H2O is made in beautiful BC and incorporate very well construction methods that I seem fit to work in our climate, which I can't wait for it to hit -40 Celcius here, yes that is Celcius. I love reading on here how some of the folks south of Canada can't believe we sit in our tubs at this temperature and they complain when it barely freezes that it is too cold and we don't like using our tub when it gets cold.....

Man that's the best time to use it when she is cold and your hair and eye brow's freeze from the steam.

So back to my review on the H2O, I am happy with it after 3 months, overall yes but there has been a small problem with it not holding temp which the dealer is looking into right now. I imagine just a problem with the heater or something small. For the price I paid compared to others tubs I am very happy and proud of my tub. I am 6'3'' and find the seating ok for me, I know being my size the seating on any tub will not be the best but the Canyon has a very deep foot well and I do like the tier step's they use. One thing I am not fond of is the neck jets, they simply do not hit your neck unless you are maybe only 5 feet tall, I find them useless. Other than that the tub serves it's purpose and waterfall/lights all work fine.

You could have issues with any tub you buy, I just can't justify spending $11,000+ on a tub of the same quality compared to H2O which is cheaper.

Was I on a budget ? No. I originally planned on spending around $15k on a tub but after visiting every dealer I was extremely happy with the purchase of my Canyon for under $10k

Funny thing is before my purchase I did not even read on this forum, I kinda wish I did but I am also happy I made my own opinions via just visiting each dealer and looking at the tubs and hearing everyone's sales pitch.

My two cents.....

I purchased a H2O Canyon luxury. We compared all the available brands here in my area (Sask) and with Beachcomber, Arctic, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, H2O available we decided on H2O.

Why ?? Cost and construction/insulation and quality. Comparing other tubs especially Arctic way overpriced and BS sales pitches and the huge cost difference it was a joke.

So back to my review on the H2O, I am happy with it after 3 months, overall yes but there has been a small problem with it not holding temp which the dealer is looking into right now. I imagine just a problem with the heater or something small. For the price I paid compared to others tubs I am very happy and proud of my tub. I am 6'3'' and find the seating ok for me, I know being my size the seating on any tub will not be the best but the Canyon has a very deep foot well and I do like the tier step's they use. One thing I am not fond of is the neck jets, they simply do not hit your neck unless you are maybe only 5 feet tall, I find them useless. Other than that the tub serves it's purpose and waterfall/lights all work fine.

You could have issues with any tub you buy, I just can't justify spending $11,000+ on a tub of the same quality compared to H2O which is cheaper.

Was I on a budget ? No. I originally planned on spending around $15k on a tub but after visiting every dealer I was extremely happy with the purchase of my Canyon for under $10k

Funny thing is before my purchase I did not even read on this forum, I kinda wish I did but I am also happy I made my own opinions via just visiting each dealer and looking at the tubs and hearing everyone's sales pitch.

You do sound happy with your tub, and that's great. I had never heard of H20 before reading this thread, so I did some searching, & one of the first results I found was for a thread on this forum from three months ago:

Hi there.

After purchasing my first hot tub I am somewhat not happy. We purchased a H20 Canyon Luxury tub (made in Canada)

For those of you that are not familiar with this brand here is a link

http://www.h2ospas.ca/canyon_luxury.htm

I know it is prob my fault for not wet testing first before purchasing (we did sit in it dry) but I figured it would be comfortable for me.

I am about 6'3'' and have a hard time finding a comfortable seat. I find myself not getting any beneficial massage and just plain out not satisfied.

I haven't contacted my dealer about this yet and I am wondering if they may let me hopefully upgrade to another model, I was really interested in the Hot Springs Grandee or Vista

If there are any dealers reading this please post your opinion on how I should go about contacting them or any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a really deep comfortable tub for taller people ??

Another thing I regret is not having a lounger as I think this may of helped me, maybe not ??

The Hot Spring Vista has the lounger and maybe this is the way to go

Thanks for your input !!

You then said this:

Thanks so far for the replies.....any one have the Grandee or Vista and can share some thoughts ??

Also anyone know about return policies/upgrades tub is like under 2 months old.....

So overall - especially considering the fact that you're now having a problem with your tub's heater- it sounds like you've not had a great experience with H20. I think most people who buy a "name brand" tub would be really upset if they spent $10-$15,000 only to find that they don't get "any beneficial massage" and are "just plain out not satisfied". People who spend less, on the other hand, are often less satisfied (as you appear to be) - but they did save thousands of dollars.

All I'm trying to say is that you get what you pay for. There doesn't seem to be a way to get name-brand quality for a fraction of the price. It may be acceptable for you, and it may be a compromise worth making. I just think that most people who buy a "discount" tub and think that they're going to get the same experience as a "name brand" end up being disappointed.

You do sound happy with your tub, and that's great. I had never heard of H20 before reading this thread, so I did some searching, & one of the first results I found was for a thread on this forum from three months ago:

Hi there.

After purchasing my first hot tub I am somewhat not happy. We purchased a H20 Canyon Luxury tub (made in Canada)

For those of you that are not familiar with this brand here is a link

http://www.h2ospas.ca/canyon_luxury.htm

I know it is prob my fault for not wet testing first before purchasing (we did sit in it dry) but I figured it would be comfortable for me.

I am about 6'3'' and have a hard time finding a comfortable seat. I find myself not getting any beneficial massage and just plain out not satisfied.

I haven't contacted my dealer about this yet and I am wondering if they may let me hopefully upgrade to another model, I was really interested in the Hot Springs Grandee or Vista

If there are any dealers reading this please post your opinion on how I should go about contacting them or any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a really deep comfortable tub for taller people ??

Another thing I regret is not having a lounger as I think this may of helped me, maybe not ??

The Hot Spring Vista has the lounger and maybe this is the way to go

Thanks for your input !!

You then said this:

Thanks so far for the replies.....any one have the Grandee or Vista and can share some thoughts ??

Also anyone know about return policies/upgrades tub is like under 2 months old.....

So overall - especially considering the fact that you're now having a problem with your tub's heater- it sounds like you've not had a great experience with H20. I think most people who buy a "name brand" tub would be really upset if they spent $10-$15,000 only to find that they don't get "any beneficial massage" and are "just plain out not satisfied". People who spend less, on the other hand, are often less satisfied (as you appear to be) - but they did save thousands of dollars.

All I'm trying to say is that you get what you pay for. There doesn't seem to be a way to get name-brand quality for a fraction of the price. It may be acceptable for you, and it may be a compromise worth making. I just think that most people who buy a "discount" tub and think that they're going to get the same experience as a "name brand" end up being disappointed.

Yes I did say those things but this was before I realized that with my height no matter what tub I end up with I will not receive the same type of therapy / massage action as someone much shorter than me.......I accept I am tall and spas really are made for smaller people

Well, the Glacier is officially out of the running. Still a nice tub, but the dealer has soured the experience enough I don't want to deal with them.

Dealer wasn't keen on filling it up for a "wet test". Started "humming and hawing" about mess, electricity costs, draining, cleaning, contamination, etc. They did offer to fill it in the showroom if I put down a $1000 non refundable deposit!

Ummm, let me think about that for a sec.....yeah, you can shove that somewhere sideways!

I offered to pay 50 bucks for thier trouble, but no dice. They stuck to the hard sell line. I don't by anything when some one tries to hold a (figuratively) gun to my head.

I am not spending over ten grand on a tub I won't even get to try until it's paid for and in my back yard...nor am I buying from someone who's giving me a PITA before they even got my money. I can only imagine what it would be like trying to get warranty work done with someone like that ....no thanks.

The Hot Springs dealer down the road offered to fill it up on the spot and come back later that day for a wet test, and we may just do that. The "moto massage" feature is very intriguing, but worries me with being such a "unique" (read:proprietary) system for when it inevitably breaks (more moving parts=more likely to break=more expensive to repair).

H2o gets wet tested tomorrow evening.....

Just came back from wet testing a Hotsprings Grandee tub.

Very nice, especially like the moto massage jets.

Price is a little steep - just shy of 12 grand taxes in. Worthy of consideration for sure and I may be eating a little crow about the US built tubs soon.

But it is one heck of a nice tub with a good waranty.

Been reading some not so good stuff about them going into receivership and being taken over by watkins with subsequent waranty and customer service problems.

Anyone have any insight on that?

Price is a little steep - just shy of 12 grand taxes in. Worthy of consideration for sure and I may be eating a little crow about the US built tubs soon.

12 grand Canadian?

I would have thought the Grandee was 12 grand US. Does anyone have a price on a Grandee in the US?

I seem to be having trouble finding what the shell is constructed with on the HS other than it's got acrylic. Here's all I can find so far:

Acrylic co-laminated to an impact-resistant ABS substrate

So, no fiberglass backer for strength?

No bonding agent to prevent delaminating?

Hmmm.........am I missing something here?

12 grand Canadian?

I would have thought the Grandee was 12 grand US. Does anyone have a price on a Grandee in the US?

That's taxes in.

It's 10,400 Cdn before taxes with the cover lift and a set of steps. Plus the standard install, delivery, set up chemicals, etc...

"...Been reading some not so good stuff about them going into receivership and being taken over by watkins with subsequent waranty and customer service problems"

What have you been reading? Hotsprings is in receivership?!?!? this is news to me (but then again, I'm not in the industry, or actively seek out the finacials of companies). Do you have a reference or link? Watkins owns HS and as long as I've know, warranty issues were always handled via Watkins.

Can you be specific?

update: Duh. got my wires crossed for a minute... Artic is receivership and talks that hotsprings make take them over? Really?

update: Duh. got my wires crossed for a minute... Artic is receivership and talks that hotsprings make take them over? Really?

I came to the same conclusion you did regarding the way the original poster stated the information. I didn't think that HS was in that kind of financial trouble, but I knew someone would jump on and post the correct information. Thanks for the clarification. Still, is Arctic in receivership? According to Wikipedia it was in 1994, but today?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Spas

I just purchased the Grandee, and it will be arriving in the next few days. I can't wait. My decision was based both on the reputation of HS, and the local dealer support. Price was good here in SoCal where they make them. Since I have kids, I wanted the "barrier free" design of the Grandee.

To me, the wiki, while needing some post-2007 contribution, is reasonably clear and accurate. I am happy to clarify if required however, that Blue Falls Manufacturing is not in receivership, has never been in receivership and is doing well financially. Have a nice day.

Vern

I came to the same conclusion you did regarding the way the original poster stated the information. I didn't think that HS was in that kind of financial trouble, but I knew someone would jump on and post the correct information. Thanks for the clarification. Still, is Arctic in receivership? According to Wikipedia it was in 1994, but today?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Spas

"...Been reading some not so good stuff about them going into receivership and being taken over by watkins with subsequent waranty and customer service problems"

What have you been reading? Hotsprings is in receivership?!?!? this is news to me (but then again, I'm not in the industry, or actively seek out the finacials of companies). Do you have a reference or link? Watkins owns HS and as long as I've know, warranty issues were always handled via Watkins.

Can you be specific?

Hmm, seems it's "hot springs - UK division" I was reading about:

http://www.hottubbuyer.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1

http://www.vantisplc.com/Vantis/News/HotSp...inistration.htm

A quick reread reveals most of the "warranty not honored" threads were also in the UK.

Ownership info:

Hot Spring spas are made by Watkins Manufacturing, a leader in hot tubs and a company known for its strong ethics and integrity. Watkins is a division of Masco Corporation, a Fortune 500 company whose quality products include such trusted brands as Delta® faucets, KraftMaid® cabinets, Behr® paints, and many more.

This is interesting:

http://video.bobvila.com/m/21419388/hot-spring-spas.htm

I've been having a difficult time googling info on hot springs tubs. Lots of sales pitch, not much on construction.....

Hot Springs uses foam to support the shell. Several layers of different density. In other words if you removed the shell you would have foam shapped like the tub shell. And it would probably hold water. Not a bad concept but different than most others. It must work they have been selling them for alot of years to more people than any other manufacturer. And the oldest disposals I have done have been HS. Not personaly one of my top 3 because of some other issues like proprietary parts and over priced but a great tub with a long standing reputation for reliability and longevity. And backed by the strongest manufacturer in the world of hot tubs.

Well, order up a plate of "crow" cause I'm fixin' to have a big feed.....

Put a $40000 deposit (ouch!) on a Hot springs Grandee with all the fixin's except tv, stereo and remote control.

High end of our price range (double ouch!), not too thrilled with the amount of proprietary parts but we couldn't beat the control-ability of the tub for different zones and the moto massage made my back feel a bit better after just one soak.

Damn nice looking unit too.

All in (tub, lifter, steps, delivery,setup and taxes) for $10,400.

We'll see in 5-10 years if it's money well spent of not......

Hmmm, now where's that hot springs avatar........

;)