D.e. Filter Pressure ?

poolguy321

I installed a Trevi 27' round about a month ago and have been using a Lomart Ultima 5000 D.E. Filter that was given to me w/1.5 HP pump. Over the last few weeks, I have been backwashing the pool once a week and adding 1.5lbs of D.E. (filter has label saying that's the required amount) each time I b'wash. Just had to backwash again this weekend, and now water pressure coming out of return seems to be low. Pressure on the gauge is above 5, but earlier this summer I was getting pressure anywhere from 10- 20 (25 is max for this filter). Pressure gauge may need to be replaced because it filled up with water recently.

I can't seem to find any info about this filter except part lists. Do I need to clean this out? If so how do I do it? I'm a pool newbie!! Only chemicals I used so far is 2 bags of shock + 3 - 4 chlorine tabs per week and arm and hammer baking soda every 2 weeks (12lbs). Pool water looks clean, but cloudy. Today there was some algea on bottom of pool which I cleaned up with brush.

Any help with this would be great!

Why are you backwashing so often? My DE filter seems to need it only every couple of months.

It probably would be smart to open it up and see what's going on, but I've never done it so I can't offer any more specific suggestions.

--paulr

From the label that says 1.5# of D.E. that suggests that your filter is only 150 Sq ft. of filter area. Maybe the filter is too small for your pool. And it's getting dirty fast. Or perhaps, when you are backwashing, that you're not getting all the d.e. out and you're slowly filling up the filter tank with d.e., effectively slowing flow through the filter. I agree with Paul, you should open er up and see whats happening in there. Any chance of posting a pic of this filter so we can better help you?

"Only chemicals I used so far is 2 bags of shock + 3 - 4 chlorine tabs per week and arm and hammer baking soda every 2 weeks (12lbs)."

You are checking the Ph with a test kit, before adding the baking soda, Yes?

I am using a test strip for chlorine, ph and alkaline. Filter has been keeping pool pretty clean - how many times do I need to backwash to get all DE out? Been doing it 5 x's each until water runs clear.

Any way to know if I get enough DE out so I can fill with 1.5lbs fresh? I've never opened up a filter before and not sure if I can clean it and get it back together as it was. Only about another month before I close the pool up here in the Northeast.