How Long Should One Wait To Enter Spa After Adding Chlorine?

MikeVB

My better half and I are in disagreement about when it is safe to enter the hot tub after adding chlorine. Can somebody answer these two questions?

1. Is there any other answer as to how long (1 hour, 6 hours, 1/2 day, etc.) one must wait to enter a tub after adding chlorine, other than when the measurement is "safe" (i.e., the recommended reading)? and

2. If the chlorine reading is NOT safe -- say, too high -- what could happen to somebody; could one get chlorine toxicity in their skin or bloodstream, turn alien-like green, etc.?

My better half and I are in disagreement about when it is safe to enter the hot tub after adding chlorine. Can somebody answer these two questions?

1. Is there any other answer as to how long (1 hour, 6 hours, 1/2 day, etc.) one must wait to enter a tub after adding chlorine, other than when the measurement is "safe" (i.e., the recommended reading)? and

No. As long as FC is in range, you can enter the tub. As a metter of fact, I add Chlorine Bleach WHILE I'm in the tub. Just be careful not to add it near anyone, and it will disperse within seconds with the jets running. That sometimes freaks people out, until I explain the nastiness of an unsanitized tub.

2. If the chlorine reading is NOT safe -- say, too high -- what could happen to somebody; could one get chlorine toxicity in their skin or bloodstream, turn alien-like green, etc.?

It would have to REALLY high (higher than you ever should have it, unless you're doing a Deconamitation) to be a health concern. Also, it depends on your CYA level. The higher CYA level, this less effect Chlorine has. That means if CYA is zero, a FC of 10 ppm will be pretty strong. However, with CYA of 100 ppm, you might not even notice an FC of 20 ppm.

Too low is a larger problem. If it's to low (like zero), you can catch all kinds of nasty infections. Always keep FC above 1 ppm, and you'll be fine.

Have you ever seen the movie The Andromeda Strain ? And they had the top layer of skin flash decontaminated, and it was this white powder all over? And,... Never mind. I've gotten into my tub before with 0 Cl and put some in, while still in.

I Agree, it depends on how much you are putting in. One Oz. is too much for my spa. So knowing this, I don't put more than a half Oz in while in the tub.

Note: I've grown only one toe since doing this.