• Announcements

    • webmaster

      Missing Posts   09/21/2016

      We are aware some posts are missing. This is due to our server upgrade. You will need to re-create any posts you have made that are missing. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeVB

How Long Should One Wait To Enter Spa After Adding Chlorine?

4 posts in this topic

My better half and I are in disagreement about when it is safe to enter the hot tub after adding chlorine. Can somebody answer these two questions?

1. Is there any other answer as to how long (1 hour, 6 hours, 1/2 day, etc.) one must wait to enter a tub after adding chlorine, other than when the measurement is "safe" (i.e., the recommended reading)? and

2. If the chlorine reading is NOT safe -- say, too high -- what could happen to somebody; could one get chlorine toxicity in their skin or bloodstream, turn alien-like green, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My better half and I are in disagreement about when it is safe to enter the hot tub after adding chlorine. Can somebody answer these two questions?

1. Is there any other answer as to how long (1 hour, 6 hours, 1/2 day, etc.) one must wait to enter a tub after adding chlorine, other than when the measurement is "safe" (i.e., the recommended reading)? and

No. As long as FC is in range, you can enter the tub. As a metter of fact, I add Chlorine Bleach WHILE I'm in the tub. Just be careful not to add it near anyone, and it will disperse within seconds with the jets running. That sometimes freaks people out, until I explain the nastiness of an unsanitized tub.

2. If the chlorine reading is NOT safe -- say, too high -- what could happen to somebody; could one get chlorine toxicity in their skin or bloodstream, turn alien-like green, etc.?

It would have to REALLY high (higher than you ever should have it, unless you're doing a Deconamitation) to be a health concern. Also, it depends on your CYA level. The higher CYA level, this less effect Chlorine has. That means if CYA is zero, a FC of 10 ppm will be pretty strong. However, with CYA of 100 ppm, you might not even notice an FC of 20 ppm.

Too low is a larger problem. If it's to low (like zero), you can catch all kinds of nasty infections. Always keep FC above 1 ppm, and you'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for that answer. That all sounds reasonable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ever seen the movie The Andromeda Strain ? And they had the top layer of skin flash decontaminated, and it was this white powder all over? And,... Never mind. I've gotten into my tub before with 0 Cl and put some in, while still in.

I Agree, it depends on how much you are putting in. One Oz. is too much for my spa. So knowing this, I don't put more than a half Oz in while in the tub.

Note: I've grown only one toe since doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0