Petroleum Jelly On O-rings?

No petroleum products on o rings. use the Teflon based lube and very sparingly, just enough to make them slick. Thats only if you are rubbing the o rings against a sealing surface. Union o rings don't really need lube since they get sandwiched against a sealing surface, and don't really move.

Ooops, sorry. This one was Leslie's Pool And Spa Lube (Funny name when you think about it - why would a pool need lubricating?). Since that is a trademark name it will probably not be available in the other stores, but they will likely have something similar.

bad news... The stuff you get at Leslie's, while it works well short term, will cause the orings to deteriorate rapidly. All mfgrs suggest a good silicone based lubricant. The red magic lube, or equivalent is great & lasts longer. Having said that, the orings themselves aren't terribly expensive, so if they fail, you can get new ones pretty cheap.

For the exception of the lid o ring on the pump (screw on types), PLM series filters, and a few other instances, you don't need lube on o rings. I don't know why but there seems to be a reason why techs love to lather up o rings in lube. They don't need it! O rings are the seal not the lube. If you get a leak to stop by using more lube, You have only treated a symptom and not the cause.

eNd raNt...

• 1 month later...
bad news... The stuff you get at Leslie's, while it works well short term, will cause the orings to deteriorate rapidly.

Hey txpoolguy... do you have any info to support that statement? my understanding is that the Leslie's Pool & Spa Lube, a Dupont Krytox product, is virtually inert, and completely safe for all types of elastomers, including the types used in pool equipment o-rings. Have been using it for years, not only on pool o-rings, but on all sorts of other o-rings and gaskets in various plumbing and automotive uses. So far, all those o-rings seem to be holding up extremely well.

The best lube is Jacks 327 from Hayward.

In my opinion, all o-rings should be lubricated. Lubrication helps the rubber expand and contract smoothly without binding. It allows the force to be equalized throughout the rubber without excessive force focus points. It also helps protect the rubber from decomposition.

Jack's 327 lubricant is the same as Dow Corning's #111 Silicone lubricant.

"Dow Corning® 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant is a heavy-consistency dimethyl silicone compound that resists a variety of organic and inorganic chemicals.

Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant can be used as a lubricant for rubber and plastic O-rings, water softener and faucet valves, valve stems for potable water, aircraft vacuum systems, electronic and ignition systems, among others. It can be used as a sealant in applications such as vacuum and pressure systems, equipment subject to washing and harsh environments, electrical service entrances and underground connections, and transformer gaskets and equipment enclosures.

Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant maintains a serviceable consistency from approximately -70° to 400°F (-57° to 204°C) and has NSF 51, NSF 61 approval and is acceptable as a release agent under FDA 21 CFR 175.300, when used in accordance with that regulation."

https://www.totallyhayward.com/techServices...Splash_4-62.pdf

http://www.haywardnet.com/contactus/faqs/v...*&pagenum=2

"What should I use as a lubricant for my o-rings and gaskets?

Hayward recommends a silicone or Teflon based lubricant for all o-rings and gaskets. Jack’s 327, by Hayward, is the best for the job. Other lubricants may cause premature failure and swelling of the o-rings and gaskets. NEVER USE PETROLEUM JELLY for a lubricant. Its’ oils will break down the rubber of the gasket or o-ring."

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone agrees, NEVER use vaseline or any petroleum product on o-rings. The ones you ask about I think are the o-rings on the unions. I have never found a need to lube these. Beyond that, the more movement the o-ring is subjected to the more it needs lubricant (such as valve shaft o-rings, BW valve o-rings). Magic Lube II is a readily available thick silicone which works well in most circumstances.