D.e. Leaking Back Into Pool

JFS

Just tore down D.E filter(Purex 48sq') which I have done many times.Everything went fine but now when I turn off pump, D.E. pours back out of main drain, this only happens for a minute, but its quite a bit of D.E.. If I turn return and drain valves all the way to spa, this dosnt happen.

Can anyone advise me as to whats going on. I inspected grids and manifold.

Need Help-Joe

Pull and check the backwash piston and make sure all o-rings are in good shape, and there is nothing else in there allowing the water and DE to go back to the drain and up.

what about 2 ortega valves(seals)

dont have piston, just slide lever on bottom of tank, understand that valve is a bitch to remove.

Just tore down D.E filter(Purex 48sq') which I have done many times.Everything went fine but now when I turn off pump, D.E. pours back out of main drain, this only happens for a minute, but its quite a bit of D.E.. If I turn return and drain valves all the way to spa, this dosnt happen.

Can anyone advise me as to whats going on. I inspected grids and manifold.

Need Help-Joe

Beleive I discoverd prob.It looks as though I installed o-ring below manifold at bottom of filter incorrectly.-Joe

• 4 months later...

I just installed an Intelliflo VF and a few days later a new FNS 48. When the pump is shut down and I open the pressure relief it pulls a vacuum and siphons the filter water and DE back through the pump, pump suction line and into the pool. Checked with leak detect on all the joints and did a low tech hydrostatic test on the suction line. No suspected leaks. 70-643 Based on what repair guy answered in the post below and my suspicions that's its a simple gravity flow issue. I'm installing a check valve on the pump discharge to filter inlet line tomorrow. Have to see after if it works or if the filter/DE water will then siphon through the return line. 642-145 Not 100% happy with the clamp fitting on the FNS. Seems I have to tighten down 8 or more turns past where the spring coils are touching to stop minute leaks around the clamp. Tapped with a rubber mallet while tightening, O-ring lightly silicone lubed. Perhaps if Deeker sees this he may have a suggestion. 642-873 I'll let you know if the check valve solves the problem, although I'm still am suspicious I have a leak.

I just installed an Intelliflo VF and a few days later a new FNS 48. When the pump is shut down and I open the pressure relief it pulls a vacuum and siphons the filter water and DE back through the pump, pump suction line and into the pool. Checked with leak detect on all the joints and did a low tech hydrostatic test on the suction line. No suspected leaks. 70-643 Based on what repair guy answered in the post below and my suspicions that's its a simple gravity flow issue. I'm installing a check valve on the pump discharge to filter inlet line tomorrow. Have to see after if it works or if the filter/DE water will then siphon through the return line. 642-145 Not 100% happy with the clamp fitting on the FNS. Seems I have to tighten down 8 or more turns past where the spring coils are touching to stop minute leaks around the clamp. Tapped with a rubber mallet while tightening, O-ring lightly silicone lubed. Perhaps if Deeker sees this he may have a suggestion. 642-873 I'll let you know if the check valve solves the problem, although I'm still am suspicious I have a leak.

Unless i,m reading your post wrong....

I don't think you have a problem. Any system (at or above pool water line) is going to do that. If it did not do that, then i would want to know why. Save your money, you don't need a check valve.

Now, if you are doing this to drain the tank (filter) for service, then all you have to do is close the valve(s) in front of the pump and open the air bleed. If you don't have a valve there, make sure the air bleed is closed on the filter, and then take the lid off the pump and let the filter begin to draw air into the filter and displace the water that way, thru the return line(s) with no D.E.

Note: If you had the leak you think you do, the D.E./ filter tank would still drain out even if you didn't open the air relief.

How could you tell? Is it because the poster had a different name? Or the link to the brain dump site? What is that anyway. I didn't stick around long enough to find out because it did not look related to the post.

Either way, maybe someone here can benefit from my advice...