Sundance Optima--questions Re: Jets And Seating

Roburt

Hello all.

I just wet tested a 2008 Sundance Optima, and immediately afterward, wet tested a Jacuzzi J-465 (I don' want this one, but perhaps the J-470 or J-480, but they didn't have either of those available for wet testing). Anyway, I was pretty much convinced that I would want the Sundance Optima over the Jacuzzi. All I needed to do was get my family to hop in to confirm. Odd thing was (1) the Sundance, while the seats seemed deep enough, the jets seemed too low-- even my wife who is only 5' 4" found the "neck' jets hitting well below the neck--the result being that the jets got our lower backs but not much else, (2) although the jets were crazy powerful, we found them very "itchy," and (3) the jets seemed to either blast constantly or blast in spurts, but there was no "kneading" sensation. We were pretty disappointed.

We then went and tried the jacuzzi. While I didn't care for the 465's layout, the back of the lounger was simply awesome. The jets swirled the water in a way that really felt like someone was "kneading" or massaging your back. There was another seat--I'd call it the captain's chair as it had what seemed like an overload of jets--got your entire back. We instantly liked the feeling of the jets better, we think mostly because (1) of the swirling motion some produced, (2) they weren't so itchy, and (3) the "neck" jets seemed to be closer to our necks, although in one seat, I still had to slide off the chair to get my neck down far enough. At 5' 10", that really surprised me. My kids 11 and 8 hated the Jacuzzi because it was so deep and there was no place shallow to sit. My daughter found the floating skimmer in the Jacuzzi disturbing.

Anyway, my question. I really want to like the Sundance more. I like the shell design and the filter arrangement more and it is significantly less expensive. What I want to know is am I missing something? Is there some way to "turn on" the swirling motion on the Sundance jets? How do folks deal with the itchy problem? Does anyone else think the neck jets are low? I'm wondering if things were turned off or something. It just doesn't seem right. I'm asking because I think I'd like to go back and try the sundance again and would like to go in armed with knowledge on how to set it up to give it a fair shake. Any thoughts?

Odd thing was (1) the Sundance, while the seats seemed deep enough, the jets seemed too low-- even my wife who is only 5' 4" found the "neck' jets hitting well below the neck--the result being that the jets got our lower backs but not much else, (2) although the jets were crazy powerful, we found them very "itchy," and (3) the jets seemed to either blast constantly or blast in spurts, but there was no "kneading" sensation. We were pretty disappointed.

It was over two years ago and I think this was a spa which we wet tested and as we wanted this 'kneading' sensation, we also felt the shoulder jets were too low so we therefore decided against this spa

It just doesn't seem right. I'm asking because I think I'd like to go back and try the sundance again and would like to go in armed with knowledge on how to set it up to give it a fair shake. Any thoughts?

A bit puzzled by this, normally when you wet test the dealer will talk you through and demonstrate all the controls, and tell you anything else you ask.

I would go back and ask for a full demonstration, afterall you want to get this decision right.

Hello all.

I just wet tested a 2008 Sundance Optima, and immediately afterward, wet tested a Jacuzzi J-465 (I don' want this one, but perhaps the J-470 or J-480, but they didn't have either of those available for wet testing). Anyway, I was pretty much convinced that I would want the Sundance Optima over the Jacuzzi. All I needed to do was get my family to hop in to confirm. Odd thing was (1) the Sundance, while the seats seemed deep enough, the jets seemed too low-- even my wife who is only 5' 4" found the "neck' jets hitting well below the neck--the result being that the jets got our lower backs but not much else, (2) although the jets were crazy powerful, we found them very "itchy," and (3) the jets seemed to either blast constantly or blast in spurts, but there was no "kneading" sensation. We were pretty disappointed.

We then went and tried the jacuzzi. While I didn't care for the 465's layout, the back of the lounger was simply awesome. The jets swirled the water in a way that really felt like someone was "kneading" or massaging your back. There was another seat--I'd call it the captain's chair as it had what seemed like an overload of jets--got your entire back. We instantly liked the feeling of the jets better, we think mostly because (1) of the swirling motion some produced, (2) they weren't so itchy, and (3) the "neck" jets seemed to be closer to our necks, although in one seat, I still had to slide off the chair to get my neck down far enough. At 5' 10", that really surprised me. My kids 11 and 8 hated the Jacuzzi because it was so deep and there was no place shallow to sit. My daughter found the floating skimmer in the Jacuzzi disturbing.

Anyway, my question. I really want to like the Sundance more. I like the shell design and the filter arrangement more and it is significantly less expensive. What I want to know is am I missing something? Is there some way to "turn on" the swirling motion on the Sundance jets? How do folks deal with the itchy problem? Does anyone else think the neck jets are low? I'm wondering if things were turned off or something. It just doesn't seem right. I'm asking because I think I'd like to go back and try the sundance again and would like to go in armed with knowledge on how to set it up to give it a fair shake. Any thoughts?

First, the dealer should be able to help you out on the spot regarding the settings....ask him when you wet test next time.

I can't speak for the Optima, but relating this similar situation on my HS Vanguard....

We have somewhat of an opposite situation, the neck jets are very high on VG and spray intensely on your shoulders and neck if you have them on full power. While I love it, (I am tall) my wife (a foot shorter than me) uses a booster seat when she is in that seat, or turns down the neck/shoulder jets. Luckily, the other moto massage seat is shorter and fits her better and the VG has separate controls for the neck jets, so she can adjust accordingly, or just turn them off.

We have found the "itchy" jet issue on almost every spa with stationary jets, too. Seems that having the water give a continuous pressure in one spot causes your skin to itch in no time. On my VG, while I can sit in the moto massage seats or rotary jet seats for an hour with no problem, but the 10 jet seat (that has 10 non pulsing jets), can cause an itching feeling if on full power in a short time. This is the type of seat you see on many low cost spas that advertise a huge number of jets, look great, and will drive you nuts with itching in no time! A great example of why you must wet test!

Don't forget to play with the diverters next time you wet test either. They can ruin the best spa if not laid out right. Bring your whole family, or pretend you have at least 4 in the tub, and try the diverters in every position to insure that if you want jets for one person, that some other seat does not get their jets turned off. Can't tell you how surprised I was how many spas have that issue. Just as an example, we were considering another H/S tub, until, when I was enjoying the moto massage, my son turned on the back jets in the recliner seat (the other main seat in this tub), and my moto massage turned off! What good is that when you can't run the 2 main seats at full power at the same time? ...In our minds, that was a huge flaw in that tub, and made our decision a lot easier after that! I just wonder how many people don't realize this till they get their spa home and invite some friends over for the first time....We would have never had know that if not wet testing with the entire family....

To be honest, while you seem to like the Optima, it sounds like you have not found YOUR right spa yet....Keep looking...I am sure you are anxious, but take your time, it's fun to wet test and you won't regret it later!

Randy

I recently had a 2009 Optima installed and love it. The improvements are well worth the additional expense (5%) and the wait. They flattened the foot dome and added jets to practically every position. The variety of seat heights is one big advantage in the Optima that I like.

As for the neck jets, I agree they are low and pretty weak. I think they do this to minimize the amount of spraying above the surface of the water when your level fluctuates. Make sure they are turned on when you test. I do need to scootch down to get my neck, but it does feel good.

The large jets with the rectangular slot in them have two settings - constant and fluttering. You just grab the slot an rotate it to change the setting. You can also change the orientation of the flutter - up/down or side to side with a special tool. You should definitely play with the diverters and move seat to seat to check out he effects.

I have found that on several occasions, I knew more than the dealer when wet testing tubs, unfortunately.

I would definitely check out and wet test the 09 Optima.

Good luck!

Everybody who is shopping for a hot tub should read this thread!

It just shows you that no matter what you "know" about the manufacturing, quality, and price of a hot tub, you don't know anything about the jet pressure, the seat comfort, and the fact that some seats (even in high end spas) are uncomfortable to some people but soothing to others. The actual experience of wet testing makes ALL the difference.

Keep going, and good luck!