Algae In Intex Easy Set

tbay2005

OK, snooped around a bit and read up on some other peoples problems with green algae taking over their pools but I want to make sure I do this right in my Intex Easy set pool so I don't do any damage to it.

It is the 14 foot (9500 L) pool. This happened to me last summer as we had an illness in the family and I didn't have the time to take care of it last summer. Last summer I just emptied it and refilled it when the algae took over but this year I wanted to know if there is a way for me to save on my water bill and try to clear it up.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to get my pool clean again? Should I just empty it out clean it and fill it back up?

According to these stupid strips that came with the chemical kit the readings are Free Clorine 0.5, pH below 6.2(very low), Total Alkalinity 0, Cyanuric Acid 0.

I haven't added any chemical today wanted to get your guys opinions here first before I do anything.

What should I do. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario so I only have about another 6-7 weeks left to use the pool for this season so I really don't want to do something that is going to take 4 weeks to clean it.

Thanks for any help.

This is only my 2nd season so I am no expert but will give you as much as I know so far and hopefully the experts will be along soon to help you.

You should be able to get your water under control quite fast if you shock it. Once you put enough bleach in (preferabley at night) to kill the algie you have to ensure you brush every inch inside the pool to loosen it (twice a day) and leave your filter on. If it remains green then you need to keep testing for free chlorine and try to keep your pool at shock level until it is no longer green. The algie should turn brown or dusty coloured and should settle on the bottom of your pool where you can vacuum it up. You will need to back wash a lot to clean the filter sand - if you are using cartridge type filters then you need two so you can alternate them throughtout the day (one in the filter while you clean the other ready to swap it over).

I have cleared a green pool over night in the past but I understand that some people struggle with this for weeks. However, I think this only happens when your water is not in balance and your cannot therefore maintain 'shock' levels to get rid of an algie outbreak.

I hope that helps for now - the calvery should be right behind me.

Oh dear - you are taking me to the edge of my knowledge!

Where are the calvery when you need them.

OK - as far as I am aware - pure liquid bleach is fine. Depending on the % strength, you need to calculate how much to put in to bring YOUR pool upto shock levels. You can calculate this at www.poolcalculator.com

Alternatively I found this advice on another site: one gallon of bleach adds the same number of ppm of FC to 10,000 gallons as it's percentage (one gallon of 6% bleach adds 6 ppm of FC to 10,000 gallons). Also, chemicals bought from a pool store frequently have dosing tables printed on the container.

I think the low ph and will affect the water balance which in turn will affect your pools ability to hold onto the FC. So you will need to either raise it or make sure you check your FC level every hour or two during the day and add enough bleach to maintain your shock level. When the level holds over night you are winning the battle.

Would like to thank Pathfinder for his offer to come over and help with my pool. But, I don't actually live in Thunder Bay, it is a little too far fr him to come for free but I thought I should mention to everyone here what he offered to do.

Thanks Pathfinder!

So, should I go out and buy a big pail of shock or go with a jug of bleach? Would be really good if I could use the pool this weekend!!

Thanks for the help so far Angela!

look at this chart

http://www.troublefreepool.com/category/po...cya_chart_shock

Since you don't have any stabilizer in there your shock level should be right at 8ppm, and keep it there until you don't have any loss overnight.

And yes, go get regular ole laundry Bleach unscented one

Adding all this bleach will not damage the pool will it?

No, no worries there, I"ve been doing this for 5 years..The bleach will not get in contact with the pool in his concentrated form ..Pour it in front of your return line...

9500 gallons of water will get it mixed up.Just keep your Pump running...

tbay2005

The calvery has arrived = mumpelnc is more knowledgeable than I and I would follow his advice pronto!

Let us know how soon you get it under control.

Good luck

Awww, thank you Angela, what a nice compliment..

I'm still learning every day..

Really I learned my real lesson my first year of having a pool, I spend so much money at the pool store that I easy could afford another pool..Even tho Intex pool's are not well equipped filter and pump wise, with proper water care it can be done...

Five minutes a day keeps the Algae away

Happy Swimming

Update.

OK, have been using the calculator to keep the bleach at 10, the recommended shock level. Now, the water has finally turned a very light green, almost grayish green.

Is there something else I have to do, work on the pH levels, bring up the cya levels?

Thanks

Update.

OK, have been using the calculator to keep the bleach at 10, the recommended shock level. Now, the water has finally turned a very light green, almost grayish green.

Is there something else I have to do, work on the pH levels, bring up the cya levels?

Thanks

Looking good, the grayish looking water is a good indicator that the Algae is dead, all it needs now, is filtering out of the pool..

Yep get you some CYA in there, try to shoot for30-50ppm..

Did you ever test for your Alkalinity?

The reason I ask is because, PH and Alkalinity are in close relation...

Also if you still shocking, your PH is not very accurate..

But find out your Alkalinity and we go from there

Oh and don't forget to Brush!!!!

Should I be keeping the pool covered 24/7 while shocking it?

If the pool is in full sun all day, I would say Yes, since you don't have any CYA in it, the chlorine gets used up Quick, and you don't want to loos it to the sun,

Your best bet is to dose at night and check in the morning and see how much it dropped..And bring it back up..

But you need to get some CYA in there

Woo hoo, just went out, took the cover off to check the levels and give it a quick vacuum/brush and I could see bottom!!! Had to really look but I could see it!

Anyways. Could someone please tell me what and how much I need to add to bring the CYA up?

The pool is 9500 L/2 509.63 US gallons.

FC 10

pH <6.5

CYA is at 0(bright yellow on the test strip)

Thanks.

And thanks to everyone that helped to get me this far. Really appreciated!

Woo hoo, just went out, took the cover off to check the levels and give it a quick vacuum/brush and I could see bottom!!! Had to really look but I could see it!

Anyways. Could someone please tell me what and how much I need to add to bring the CYA up?

The pool is 9500 L/2 509.63 US gallons.

FC 10

pH <6.5

CYA is at 0(bright yellow on the test strip)

Thanks.

And thanks to everyone that helped to get me this far. Really appreciated!

according to http://www.poolcalculator.com/ you only need 1 cup 6 oz

CYA= stabilizer, you can get it at Walmart, if that's a option for you..

And why you at it, grab a Box of Borax the Mule Team, to get your PH up

Just a lil Reminder...... Don't forget to BRUSH :D

Yes I bought the borax and arm and hammer bs already, just need to know how much of each to put in.

You're saying I need to put in 1cup 6oz of stabilizer?

Yep, 1cup 6 oz of stabilizer

If your Ph is 6.5 you need 3lbs 6 oz of Borax to get your target of 7.5, but I would start of with half of that, and check to see where you at. Its easier to bring it up then back down..

Did you had a chance to check your alkalinity yet?

I would not recommend to put any Baking Soda in, until you have it checked