Help W/ Hot Tub For Home Theater - Moisture Concerns

cgott42

Hi:

I've never owned a hot tub before. But upon seeing a demo of softub at the mall, I got the idea - woudln't it be great having this in my home theater room (sit in the tub and watch movies on the big screen).

My questions are:

If the insulated cover is kept on all of the time (except the hour/day it's used) will there be moisture issues (the room is terribly ventilated and I don't want mold growing in the room or damage to the projector.

If necessary I can run a dehumidifier in the room - but want know if that'll be enough (and also if necessary as it'll cost $$ to run)

also what is the cost in electric of running a softub?

Lastly: is there much spillage from the tub (as that'd ruin the floor, and create moisture issues)

also how long is safe to sit in the tub?

also I was wondering if softub is the best brand to buy (want cheap, used for 2 people, easy self installation, and no hassle) - or is there a better brand?

and is there any other concerns that I should be considering.

thanks,

Jon

Water + Electricity = Bad

Water + Interior House grade speaker cone paper = Bad

Marine Rated outdoor speakers= good

100' of monster speaker wire hooked up to existing Hommie Theatre= Smart

Binoculars to watch flat screen in Living room = free!

see these are jokes... but seriously every electronic store sells "outdoor" rated speakers.

Getting a TV that is made to work right at your spa is another story, that would be something I would want a dealer warranty on, but I bet you could find a local place to do that too. Ask your local spa dealers if they know any independent installers that do outdoor multimedia. I bet you could google "DIY outdoor TV" and find some guy who did it himself and captured the whole thing online... if you can't find one... then it's ALL YOU! We look forward to your new successful website on how to do all of this stuff for less than $2,000. Godspeed!

Hi:

I've never owned a hot tub before. But upon seeing a demo of softub at the mall, I got the idea - woudln't it be great having this in my home theater room (sit in the tub and watch movies on the big screen).

My questions are:

If the insulated cover is kept on all of the time (except the hour/day it's used) will there be moisture issues (the room is terribly ventilated and I don't want mold growing in the room or damage to the projector.

If necessary I can run a dehumidifier in the room - but want know if that'll be enough (and also if necessary as it'll cost $$ to run)

also what is the cost in electric of running a softub?

Lastly: is there much spillage from the tub (as that'd ruin the floor, and create moisture issues)

also how long is safe to sit in the tub?

also I was wondering if softub is the best brand to buy (want cheap, used for 2 people, easy self installation, and no hassle) - or is there a better brand?

and is there any other concerns that I should be considering.

thanks,

Jon

I think there would be a lot of moisture issues with putting a tub indoors, in a poorly ventilated room. The cover helps to keep the heat and moisture in, but it's not perfect. There will still be steam escaping all day and all night. It's like running a large humidifier inside that room 24/7. So if you do it, you should add some serious ventilation.

As for water coming out of the tub, think of it like a large bathtub. Every time you get out, you will be dripping all over the floor. Every time you get in, there is a risk of water splashing out. If you get too many people in there at a time, you can overflow the tub onto the floor. It will happen at some point, I can almost gaurantee it. So yes, there would be water issues for your floor.

I don't know much about softtubs, or their electric use. Find out from the dealer how many kilowatts they use per day, and then see how much your electric company charges per kilowatt. That will help you estimate the operating cost. Don't believe the dealer when he claims $20 per month, because that cost is usually calculated using a low kilowatt charge. Get your actual utility rates to help you do the calculations.

Sheeesh do I have to do *everything*?! Look here's a DIY bathroom plasma TV example of how to do your own flat panel splashproof install... please realize i *know* they make spas with this stuff built-in, and when talking about risking several grand's worth of high-end electronics... well this is where warranties really shine! Meanwhile for us handy folks...

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hm_rm_bathro...5093_02,00.html

I think I'm giving up on the idea. As many have said the moisture will be too much of an issue -

and it sounds like a dehumidifier will not be enough to control the moisture - and I don't want to risk my equipment (or house)

:-)

I could put a tub outside, but I'm just not comfortable sitting outside in the tub it's not as relaxing watching on a TV outdoors in a tub since the neighbors can see.

oh well. One can dream.

If I do end up changing my mind and going for the outdoor tub w/a plasma out there.

A couple of questions:

Is there a problem with inflatable portable tubs (much cheaper)

also I found a used Capri Spa for $1k - however it's 20 YEARS OLD - assuming it runs fine- is it safe to assume that that would be a maintenance nightmare- destined to break down soon?

I think I'm giving up on the idea. As many have said the moisture will be too much of an issue -

and it sounds like a dehumidifier will not be enough to control the moisture - and I don't want to risk my equipment (or house)

:-)

I could put a tub outside, but I'm just not comfortable sitting outside in the tub it's not as relaxing watching on a TV outdoors in a tub since the neighbors can see.

oh well. One can dream.

If I do end up changing my mind and going for the outdoor tub w/a plasma out there.

A couple of questions:

Is there a problem with inflatable portable tubs (much cheaper)

also I found a used Capri Spa for $1k - however it's 20 YEARS OLD - assuming it runs fine- is it safe to assume that that would be a maintenance nightmare- destined to break down soon?

Ok...I hate to be the one to splash cold water on this subject ... but c'mon. Life is meant for savoring....but not gluttony (well a little gluttony is ok). A hot tub in a home theater room sounds too Hugh Hefner to me. The beauty of our tub is being in the outdoors....you can put up fencing if the neighbors are nosy. The average stay in a hot tub is twenty to forty minutes at a time I have found so it'd be hard to enjoy a movie.

Get a tub....but put it outside and enjoy a little time away from the tube.

Just our 3 cents.

What part of the country do you live in? These tubs can't maintain temps. while running jets, so that is something to consider. I live in a warmer climate and have a coworker with one. He said that even with the jets off you can't keep the temp. warm enough for more than about 15 minutes. I think that hotsprings might make 110v spas and they have a good reputation, so you might want to check those out. As far as locating your spa outside, is there any way to screen the spa? Some people here have posted pics of their spas with tents over them that have sides that can be completely closed. If you are set on being indoors, don't forget that they make jetted tubs for your bathroom with heaters and bubblers. Before I bought a spa, we remodeled our masterbath and installed one. I used to love to watch movies in there. Now, it sits there all alone. Maybe on a rainy day I'll use it again.

Ok...I hate to be the one to splash cold water on this subject ... but c'mon. Life is meant for savoring....but not gluttony (well a little gluttony is ok). A hot tub in a home theater room sounds too Hugh Hefner to me. The beauty of our tub is being in the outdoors....you can put up fencing if the neighbors are nosy. The average stay in a hot tub is twenty to forty minutes at a time I have found so it'd be hard to enjoy a movie.

Get a tub....but put it outside and enjoy a little time away from the tube.

Just our 3 cents.

Gosh I think you splashed some sense on this thread. I agree, personally I think hottubbing is escaping television and starring at stars and loved ones. While you are sitting at work, thinking about what it will be like to have a hottub it seems to make sense and looks cool and you anticipate all the coolness... in reality, soaking is very relaxing and TV doesn't fit into that so well... I mean, I would have to open my eyes and stop trying to touch my Mrs in her secret place, feel me? So a sound system is one thing, but a TV may go unwatched!

For what they charge you to add a stereo you can add your own. If you have a high-end system inside you can set up your speakers to that, and as far as outdoor sturdy electronics (CD player/Radio?) uhh duh it's a car stereo. It's hard to spend over a couple hundred bucks... and it would be an ideal application for a satellite radio ...and of course you would need a 12V power source (easy!) Speakers could mount under the eaves of the house or someplace other than the corners of your spa (Make stands with electrical conduit?) And if it's a patio just use a boombox

Would you really be willing to watch a full length movie thats 2 hours long sitting in 102 -103 degree water? Let me know where you live so I can bring some potatoes and carrots. :lol:

Just a joke that's all. :rolleyes:

Ummm, does it make me weird if I say yes? Now, if you really want some soaking fun, catch an ice road trucker marathon! :)

Hello,

Just my two cents but My Spa is indoors and we have a full stereo / TV etc basically right beside it. We run a dehumidifier sometimes and have absolutely no problems. Also my parents have Virtually the same thing for over 10 years and they have no problems (at least with the electronic euiptment)

I love to sit in the tub and watch football or just basic TV. i am not an outdoors person and love the comfort & privacy of being inside. We have a tile floor so water is not a concern. Of course getting in and out gets a little water on the floor but more water gets on the floor from taking the cover off. Still once again not a big deal. Anyway I hope that helps.

Well, When I used to live at my parents house that was definitely a problem, the jets were very loud and noisy so we had to crank the TV. On my spa the jets are actually about 1/2 of what their noise level was, so while we do have to turn it up a tad bit more than normal we dont have to blast it. Also what i have done is taken a mono feed out of my TV / Reciever and plugged it into the aux input of the stereo on my spa, so the tv volume is pumped right beside our heads to the spa speakers. Works great!!!!

• 3 weeks later...